Read the following:
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
OpenStax College (2017). Psychology. https://openstax.org/details/psychology.
Just from $13/Page
- Hari, J. (2015, June). Everything you think you know about addiction is wrong [Video]. TEDGlobalLondon. https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_everything_you_think_you_know_about_addiction_is_wrong
- Walker, M. (2019, April). Sleep is your superpower [Video]. TED2019. https://www.ted.com/talks/matt_walker_sleep_is_your_superpower
Part I. Genetics and Epigenetics
Based on your readings, please explain how you think genetics and epigenetics affects:
- us, as persons,
- how we view and interact with others,
- the kinds of perceptions and judgments we have about people, cultures, and populations,
- how public policy, government benefits, corporate structure, and other systemic structures can be changed (if needed), and
- how our own values can change or be modified to make room for a new understanding of epigenetics
Part II. Indigenous understanding of Genetics and Epigenetics
Studies in cultural psychology speak of “folk knowledge”. Much of these are oral traditions passed down through multiple generations and carry the beliefs, stories, and wisdom of previous generations. One inherent understanding is that heritability that runs in families is not exclusive to the way we look but is extended to the way we act, think, and to how personalities develop. The environment in which we develop is also important to many cultures and traditions. The language used in indigenous psychology does not utilize scientific terms; they used their own terms to explain multi-generational and multi-dimensional inheritance (genetics and epigenetics).
- Please describe how your Grenadian culture explains heritability (genetics and epigenetics). You can incorporate customary practices, beliefs, rituals, myths, and academic studies.
Your Discussion should be at least 250 words in length, but not more than 750 words. Use APA citations and references for the textbook and any other sources used.
It is a known fact that sleep is important in order for us to thrive in our environment. There is research that seeks to understand how sleep affects our day-to-day activities.
Find a research article that describes one of the negative effects of being sleep deprived. Then write a report about this study, their methods, participants, and findings. Describe the study’s limitations as well as any future applications.
In the conclusion of the paper, you should indicate whether these findings have ever affected you, or someone you know, and what steps were taken to remedy the situation.
The Written Assignment should be 3-4 double spaced pages in length, not including title or reference pages. Make sure your assignment is APA format with double-spacing, Times New Roman, 12-point font, and 1” margins. Include citations and a list of references in APA format. Edit for spelling and grammar errors.
Here are some tips for reviewing a research paper. Follow these tips when you are reviewing any article in this class:
- From the introduction: what is the general topic that the article is addressing? What is the purpose of the research described in this article? What is the author(s) hypothesis/hypotheses?
- Briefly describe the methods: who were the participants? What did they have to do in this study? What were the measures that were collected? How was it collected?
- In general, what were the results of this study? (Don’t use numbers or describe statistics).
- What were the major conclusions of the study? What are the implications of this study, both in terms of future psychological research and understanding social behavior out in the “real world”? Make sure you don’t simply use the limitations described in the study—come up with your own.
- In your opinion, what are the strengths and limitations of this research? Could there have been modifications in the way the study was conducted? What kind of “tips” would you have given the researchers with what you know?
- Form a conclusion about the value of the study. How does it apply to our world today? Was it valuable and/or informative? How did it enhance the way you view current or historical experiences/events?
For your Learning Journal, answer the following questions:
- Briefly describe the general structure and function of the nervous system.
- Why is the study of “sleep” important in a psychology course? What benefit does sleep provide to the nervous system and to the body in general?
- Have you experienced sleep disturbances? If so, please explain the effects to your physical, mental and emotional health.
The Learning Journal entry should be a minimum of 400 words and not more than 750 words. Use APA citations and references if you use ideas from the readings or other sources.
Order your essay today and save 20% with the discount code: GREEN