Chapter Nine: Mutual-Help Groups: A Strengths Perspective
Alchohol Anonymous (AA) is viewed by some as a “narrative and reflective community”. It has been hailed as best practice and supported by the government. Yet, it has also been critiqued for poor success rates and its promotion of God and religious views.
For this week’s DB, read the original 12 Steps:
And watch this personal story of how AA saved this person’s life:
And watch this important critique of AA:
And then please use the eText and materials from this week’s field trip to compose a 300-word top-level post in ESSAY format that responds to these questions:
1. Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of 12-Step mutual support groups.
2. Have these groups been successful in helping addicted individuals recover and how?
3. Is the language of the original 12 steps “strength-based”?
4. How could 12-Step mutual support groups be improved?
5. What’s you’re overall analysis of the effectiveness of 12-Step mutual support groups?
*** Be sure to use examples from the readings and field trip to support your answers to the above questions.***
***Pay close attention to the DB rubric in Course Information so you get full credit!!***
Be sure to create one 300-word top level post in ESSAY FORMAT (not numbered responses),