Module 2 – SLP
For this assignment you will be applying the concepts of the Johari Window and Transactional Analysis to some specific scenarios that you might face if you were a leadership development coach. Of course make sure to thoroughly review the required readings before starting on this assignment.
For each of the scenarios below, use at least one reference from the required readings to answer the specific question. Your paper should be two to three pages in length:
1. An employee shows up late for work. The supervisor says “I’m really disappointed in you. This is the fifth time this month you’ve been late for work!” The employee responds “I’m tired of you singling me out! Bob, Carol, and Ted are also late for work sometimes but you never chew them out!” Based on Transactional Analysis, what roles are the supervisor and employee playing?
2. An employee receives a performance review from the supervisor. The supervisor points out several areas where the employee has performed well and where the employee’s performance needs to be improved. The employee responds, “Thank you so much for the feedback. How would you suggest I go about improving my performance?” Based on Transactional Analysis, what roles are the supervisor and employee playing?
3. A leadership development coach is brought into a company to try to improve communication between supervisors and subordinates. The coach asks everyone to write down areas where their supervisor or subordinate has a blind spot. Everyone writes down a lot of complaints about areas that they think their supervisor or subordinate is clueless about. The coach shares what everyone wrote with the whole group. A lot of finger-pointing and arguments ensue, with a lot of feelings hurt. What additional steps do you think the coach should have taken based on the Johari Window that might have improved the outcome?
SLP Assignment Expectations
· Follow the assignment instructions closely and follow all steps listed in the instructions
· Stay focused on the precise assignment questions, don’t go off on tangents or devote a lot of space to summarizing general background materials
· List supporting references and cite sources in proper format
· Use appropriate writing style in essay form (organization, grammar, and spelling).