You are the newly appointed strategic consultant at Grocer Lidl(supermarket in UK). The board of directors have decided to expand the business to the ‘Asian Market(take INDIA)’ and they have asked you to prepare a report suggesting the best strategic direction for the firm to grow internationally particularly and strategies that will help them to create a competitive advantage and achieve their strategic objectives.
You need to consider effectively scanning both the internal and external environment of Lidl(super market in UK) in order to help them explore new opportunities in INDIA.
However, for better understanding of the organisation you are required to research the given organisation including its challenges and strategic management approach to expand in the Asian Market. • Applying the knowledge of relevant strategic management frameworks, you need to • Carry out the external analysis • Address the internal analysis • Identify key issues, evaluate alternatives and make conclusions based on thorough analysis
Make appropriate strategy recommendations for the organisation(s) given in the case study, in today’s business environment.
Assessment Tasks :
• Executive Summary
• Introduction (Company & industry background, key challenges faced by the selected company)
• External environmental analysis for identifying opportunities and threats: Macro (PEST or PESTEL) & Micro (5 Forces Framework for analysing industry structure and the nature of competition)
• Internal environmental analysis for identifying strengths and weaknesses: VRIO or value chain analysis
• Identification of Competitive Strategies (Bowman’s Clock or Porter’s Generic Strategies) • Strategic directions (Markets, Products, Services) & methods of expansion
• In-text citations and list of references using Harvard Referencing.
Strategic management report will need to identify the internal and external opportunities and threats facing the organisation (s) given in the case study, and present appropriate frameworks that inform the development of strategic options and recommendations for the organisation(s) in terms of future strategic directions and methods of expansion in Asian markets.
The report should therefore be comprised of areas for consideration that address the following questions:
1. Appraise the current strategic positioning of the given organisation. The following will need to be carried out to address this question:
Undertake a critically evaluated strategic audit, using appropriate models & frameworks, of the firm’s existing strategy in relation to its ability to exploit new global opportunities to create a more competitive advantage
In order to prepare report for the board of directors you are required to scan Micro and Macro environment of the company where it operates.
This will need to include an critical assessment of the external MACRO environment (using the PEST or PESTEL framework); external MICRO environment (using Porter’s 5 Force framework) and internal analysis of the organisation (applying Jay Barney’s VRIO or Michael Porter’s Value Chain Analysis) to identify opportunities and threats in both these external and internal environmental layers.
2. Propose strategic recommendations for the organisation given in the case study to strengthen its current position in the given Market. The following will need to be carried out to address this question:
This will need to include an analysis and evaluation of organisation competitive strategies in a critical and informed way. Evaluating best alternatives and make possible recommendation and conclusions based on thorough analysis and consideration of their future competitive strategies, applying either Porter’s Generic Strategies of Competition framework or Bowman and Faulkner’s Strategy Clock.